Military Service Appreciation Program: Holistic Resilience
The B.R.E.A.T.H. Center Co-Founder Virginia Schoenfeld, PhD, DCM-P, BCC offers active duty personnel, their immediate family and veterans, low cost/no cost resilience training that includes wellness coaching and skill-building programs to improve health and well-being.
A retired Commander, Navy Medical Service Corps and a caregiver to a 100% service-connected disabled veteran spouse, doctor Schoenfeld, PhD practices in her personal and professional life a consistent philosophy based on mind-body-spirit principles of well-being. This integrative approach to wellness optimizes the use of evidence-based education and techniques that are known to enhance the healing process and to develop mind-body-spirit resilience.
In addition to holistic nutrition, life style changes coaching, wellness education, and disease prevention, the Military Service Appreciation Program: Holistic Resilience program (MSAP-HR) offers many services to improve emotional health, including chronic insomnia, irritability, anger management and other self-regulation techniques based on a comprehensive approach that includes energy medicine healing modalities such as Healing Touch, Acupressure, Essential Oils Therapy, Massage Therapy, Bio-Feedback, Guided Imagery, and others which are scientifically known to lessen mental, emotional and physical suffering.
Active-duty military, their families and veterans need relief and solutions for hardships they have suffered during their service to their country. The B.R.E.A.T.H. Center is proudly helping them transform hopelessness and helplessness to optimism and a renewed desire to lead full and productive healthy lives through this no-cost program.
- Active Duty Servicemen/women, spouses and children
- Veterans who served in combat (OIF, OEF and post other Vietnam conflicts)
Requirements for Acceptance into the Program:
To qualify for the no-cost program, candidates will be evaluated using a readiness scale during the first two visits to ensure they meet and/or will be able to commit to the following program criteria:
- Readiness to acknowledge and change unhealthy lifestyles
- Readiness to incorporate healing foods and/or make dietary changes
- Readiness to recognize the adverse health effects of long term prescribed medications and psychiatric drugs
- Commitment to stay in the program – min 3-6 months (TBD)
- Readiness to follow through or comply with program recommendations that support the return to wellbeing: Mind-Body-Spirit
- Food As Medicine – Holistic Nutrition
- Development of a Wellness Plan and Goals
- Completion/Follow Up of Assignments
- Family Support and Participation
- Active Living Practices – Exercise, Yoga, Movement, etc
- Mind-Body Skills
- Spiritual Practices
- Building a Tool Box – Learn or use techniques that enhance and support the body’s inherent natural healing ability as offered by:
At least two of the following:
- Heart Math Institute – Personal Coherence and De-Stressing
- The Center for Mind-Body Medicine
- Healing Touch (Energy Work)
- Meditation/Deep Breathing
- Nutrition/Dietary Program(s) i.e. Dr Sears L.E.A.N
- Guided Imagery
Once accepted into the MSAP-HR program, individuals are encouraged to communicate to their licensed medical doctor (if one is available) of their participation in this wellness and resilience building educational program. Doctor Schoenfeld’s professional preference is to maintain close communication and coordination with the licensed healthcare provider who may be treating and caring for the physical and mental health of our participants.
Continuation in the Program:
Doctor Schoenfeld, PhD will notify prospective participant if he/she meets criteria for acceptance into program at no cost during the participant’s second session. At which time, areas of concern will be discussed with participant or legal guardian in the case of minors. If participant wishes to continue exploring some or all of the aspects of the program without having to commit long term, or he/she does not meet above criteria, services offered by doctor Schoenfeld will be available at a military discount hourly visit.
The MSAP-HR offered by Virginia Schoenfeld, MPH, PhD, DCM-P, BCC is a voluntary community-based program and it not affiliated with the Department of Defense or Veterans Administration. Participation in the MSAP-HR is not to be used as a replacement for professional therapy or medical treatment provided by a licensed healthcare practitioner or medical doctor. While all services and educational materials are spoken and given in good faith, the accuracy, validity, effectiveness, completeness, or usefulness of any information is not to be construed as a diagnosis or guarantee for curing disease. The B.R.E.A.T.H. Center accepts no responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of the information provided. We strongly advise that you seek medical professional advice as appropriate before making any health-related decisions.